[OM] Chris's trip

Subject: [OM] Chris's trip
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:21:58 -0600
When I first read Chris's itenerary, I was reminded of the Kodak tv
commercial, with the two girls being driven around Rome, one with sharp
photos, thanks to Max 800 film. My first thought was, "he'll need 1600 speed
at least, for as much driving as he'll do!"

Now that there is a more complete list, with priorities, it looks almost
possible, and now, only a bit like the Baatan death March. Let me add my
advice:

Pare down your list some more. Understanding that you are not from some high
population density country, there is still a lot of driving planned. Spend
more time in fewer destinations=more enjoyment, less fatigue.

I understand your desire for an SUV, but for long highway drives, they can
be less comfortable that something like a Lincoln Town Car, or other large
sedan. The tire noise on some SUV's can be opressive on our less well
maintained interstates, and as a renter, you take what tires you gets.

Also, I don't want to fuel the old tiresome war, but as a traveler, you must
consider that renting an SUV for a transcontinental trip will be very
expensive, as the lowest gas mileage is accompanied by the highest rental
rates. Although I can't imagine you will ever use the 4WD, if you really
think you need one, consider this: Since several of your destinations are
widely spaced, why not rent one on the east coast, then turn it in and fly
to San Diego, and rent another there. It is rumored that there will be
drastic sales on flights in the first quarter. You could fly one of the low
cost airlines, like Southwest, from Chicago or Kansas City to San Diego, and
probably pay less that $100 per ticket.

Frankly, the drive from Iowa to San Diego will include segments of
mind-numbing proportions. With all due resepect to my neighbors to the
north, the drive across Nebraska from Des Moines to Denver will leave you
suicidal. the money saved could be put toward hotel upgrades, important for
those long driving segments.

I can certainly understand your wishes to maximize your traveling,
expecially if this is your wife's first opportunity to introduce you to the
US. If she has widely distributed friends, that she hasn't seen in years, it
can be even worse. Still, don't kill yourself.

Bill Pearce