Re: [OM] Need trip suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Need trip suggestions
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:33:15 +0000
Andrew Dacey wrote:

> Here's the other criteria:
>
> - Reasonably good transportation (I don't have a driver's licence so I won't
> be renting a car).
>
> - Would prefer to visit a continent I haven't been to yet (so North America
> and Europe are lower priorities).
>
> - Affordable accommodations.

It's still geographically North America, but culturally another world -
Central America would be my big recommendation.  I would imagine the air
fare from Canada would not be too excessive, you can get by easily on a
budget of US$20 a day, transport can get you almost anywhere and is
really very reliable, the people are very hospitable, the history
(ancient and modern) is fascinating, and the scenery (especially in
Guatemala) is quite breathtaking.  The only possible drawback would be
that May is around about the start of the rainy season.  However, I
travelled there last year (oops, that'd be the year before last now) at
the tail end of the rainy season, which has the heaviest rains, and it
was not generally a problem - mornings are sunny and hot, rain comes in
the late afternoon and provides welcome relief from the heat.  The only
time it got me down was when it rained solidly for five days due to a
hurricane moving along the east coast (I was on the west coast so didn't
get the winds, just the rain).

All in all my favourite part of the world (so far).  Naturally I took
billions of photos, which you can see if you want to at:

http://www.centralamerica.f9.co.uk

You mentioned Peru, and I expect that's equally interesting, with just
as much history and scenery.  But, from what I understand, it's quite a
bit more touristy, and there's more risk of petty theft.

I'd also recommend Iceland as a place to go, but unless your budget is
really quite high, affordable accommodation = camping, and affordable
eating = self catering.  Don't know if that's your type of holiday or
not!  Stunning scenery there though.

Hope that helps,

Roger