Re: [OM] Need trip suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Need trip suggestions
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 23:23:09 EST
Have you been to the islands in the Caribbean or Bermuda?  I would also be
tempted by Cuba.  If you can tolerate the sun and have any interest in the
water and a different culture it might be fun island hopping for a few days.
I would probably try to stay away from the huge tourist resorts (yes, I know
Bermuda is one and not in the Caribbean, but it is a charming place with
really nice people).  An older book in my travel library is "Undiscovered
Islands of the Caribbean" written by Burl Willes.  Don't know if it has been
updated or is currently in print, however it is a good one.  When you go to
one of these less developed places you can travel with the locals, eat with
them and discover something different from what you have "back home."

The Orient is certainly interesting.  Hong Kong might be a dangerous place
for someone on this list.  Although I have spent some time in Thailand, Viet
Nam & Japan, I'm not sure I would go there on an unescorted tour of two weeks
unles I was ordered to do so.

I went on a cruise to Alaska last summer.  Let's see, you could take the
train across Canada and catch the ferry up the inland passage and the train
again over to Denali National Park.  That would be a heck of a trip, stopping
for a few days in a city or two as you worked your way up to Alaska.

Bill Barber