Re: [OM] OM macro / closeups vs medium format / TLR

Subject: Re: [OM] OM macro / closeups vs medium format / TLR
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:43:16 -0800 (PST)
--- Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sunday, December 30, 2001 at 3:48, John Robison
> > > She/He's fooling himself. You get the same depth
> of
> > > field with a given
> > > focal length, aperture, and image enlargement..
> > >
> > > tOM
> >   DOF's really the same for a given aperture and
> > Image/Object ratio regardless of focal length.
> John Robison
>
> I think you mean aperture in mm rather than f/ratio?
>
> tOM
  Hi Tom (and John Lind) Please pardon my 4AM reply, I
woke up at 2:30 and coulden't get back to sleep. Went
back to bed, caught a few more Z's and now have my 2nd
cup of coffee in hand(in a Olympus mug,no less). What
I tried to say was that if you set up your OM to
photograph say a head and shoulders portrait with a
leafy background and as an expirement you first
mounted your 24mm, set apature at f4 and placed camera
2 and 1/2 feet from subject, exposed frame 1, now
mount the 50mm at f4 at 5ft from subject, frame 2, now
mount your 100mm at f4 at 10ft from subject. frame 3,
woulden't all 3 frames have about the same DOF and the
background have about the same degree of fuzzyness? Or
am I all wet? About the math, I am a MMM that Math
Mental Miget, I can visualize the why of DOF but when
you guys start talking log and cos and things like
that your are way over my head<G>. And John L., love
your site, it's a standard place of reference I go to
often.      John Robison