Re: [OM] DUMB,DUMB,DUMB

Subject: Re: [OM] DUMB,DUMB,DUMB
From: "Andrew Dacey" <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:29:19 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Couch" <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 3:06 PM

> Maybe it's my climbing background, but I have a 'setup' routine I go
through
> both in climbing and in photography. I don't talk or even really
acknowledge
> anyone while doing it, my concentration is fully on the task! It's one
thing to
> blow a camera load, not properly tying your harness can really ruin your
day,
> or life!

I also go through a gear check any time I put together my camera bag. Since
I don't tend to keep my camera bag loaded, it's a great time to check all
the bodies and lenses as I put them into the bag. I check things like if my
lenses (and filters) are clean, if film isn't loaded I'll snap a few test
shots at different speeds. I also go through my mental checklist of what
gear I need to take and make sure it's all there. I find it's well worth the
30 mins or so to go through this step and ensure that everything is working
and that I have everything I need. Because I unpack everything I have to
make sure that I put everything I need back in. Sure, I run a small risk of
forgetting something but I figure it's better than expecting something to be
in the bag and then discover in the middle of my trip that I took that out
of my bag 3 weeks ago and didn't put it back in.

And of course the final thing I check is how much film I have and what kinds
(as well as checking if I have film in any bodies and how many frames are
left). Oh, and battery check (WAY more important with my C*n*n than with my
OM's).

----
Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx