[OM] First Impressions: Metz MZ40-3i

Subject: [OM] First Impressions: Metz MZ40-3i
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:51:55 +0000
Andrew,
Remember the SCA 321 you sent me some time ago? It now has a proud new home on the Metz 40MZ-3i that was confiscated until yesterday.

Works well and some of the features on the Metz 40MZ-3i is what Olympus should have done with evolution of its "T" series. With NiMH cells, the Metz has a remarkably fast recharge time, even with full dump. The small secondary strobe tube is pretty handy for bounce. Bigger and slightly heavier than a T-32, I wouldn't mount it on the OM-1n's Shoe 4 [the shoe is too fragile]. On the Newton bracket or in the OM-2S and OM-4 shoes it feels well balanced in spite of its size (makes Maitani's small SLR's look even smaller). Alas, The MZ40 won't fit into the BG-2, but that's not a show-stopper. Metz makes an equivalent to the BG-2 and it's not that expensive.

Thanks!
-- John