Re: [OM] A Few November "Road Trip" Pix

Subject: Re: [OM] A Few November "Road Trip" Pix
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:05:05 +0000
At 16:15 12/22/01, you wrote:
Beautiful photos, John! I was particularly struck by the recollections aroused by the scene of the Great Basin in Wyoming, my home state. I bet not too many list members know what the "fence" in the background is for. It is used to cause the snow to drift at the fence rather than on the road (from which the photo was taken). In winter the incessant wind in that area blows the snow horizontally hour after hour and the "snow fences" help to keep the roads open.

Dave Dougherty

Geez Dave . . . I thought they were early versions of "tank traps" used as a defense against "siege engines" and put up to protect the "secret factories" from aggressive competitors.
:-)

There are places with three or more rows of these fences, one behind another, spaced apart for drifting snow to pile up between them.

As someone already mentioned, snow on much of the Great Plains doesn't melt. It has a sand-like texture (versus large flakes) and grinds itself into oblivion from friction and abrasion as it drifts. Takes until about April before it's too small to see with the naked eye. It had been over 20 years since crossing the Continental Divide on I-80. This time I noticed the giant railroad style crossing gates at every exit between Rock Springs and Cheyenne (except for the ones inside a city). Enormous signs tell travelers to turn around and go back to the last exit if the gates are down. I guess warning signs and flashing hazard lights weren't enough to convince some people (causing a rescue nightmare when they get stuck . . . *if* anyone knows they're out there). Those and the snow fences are a clue that drifting snow can often be more than the snow clearing equipment can handle.

-- John