Re: [OM] [OT]Outlook question for you computer gurus

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]Outlook question for you computer gurus
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:16:03 +0100
: Here's what I want to do: make Outlook the mail handling program (and that
would integrate nicely with the
: address books), BUT since both computers have a copy of Outlook, can i set
up the desktop as a
: "server" so that all incoming mail get to the desktop, and then i can
access the same one copy of all
: messages from either laptop or desktop?

Are you referring to Outlook, or to Outlook Express? They're completely
different programs. In Express, it's very simple to share one mail
directory. Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store Folders lets you set the
directory where messages, folders & newsgroups are stored. On the server
side you select a local directory, which is shared and to which you assign a
drive on the client computer(s) so that you can select it.

I think that with Outlook, part of Office, things are more complicated. It
cooperates with Exchange Server and will only allow sharing folders if this
Dragon Application is installed on the server side. Believe me, you don't
want to install Exchange Server just for fun on a mediocre computer. It
really should be installed on a dedicated server. Every moment it thinks the
computer is more or less idle, it will take over for 100% all system
resources; specifically the hard disk is continuously accessed. Well this
was my experience with a trial version of Exchange Server 2000, installed on
Windows 2000 Server on my Celeron 433 with 384 MB installed.

hnz