[OM] OM camera sounds; and 3rd party accessories

Subject: [OM] OM camera sounds; and 3rd party accessories
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:31:54 +1300
Hi fellow Olympiusses

Just for fun the other day before I put a roll of "grey" import Kodachrome in
my OM1 beater, I played around with the noise-making side of things.

And I put on a lens that has a rather strong spring on the aperture blades -
my 100/2.  I suspect that it has something to do with the difficulty I have in
getting consistently good images from my one.

Operate the shutter in the usual hand-held manner; and there is the usual
cacophony of 3-part sound - or maybe 4. OK, I've heard louder elsewhere.

Lock the mirror up, and Yes, there is certainly less noise. That must mean
less vibration because noise equated to energy and than translates to
vibration in our little cameras a lot of the time as far as I know.

Now, hold in the Depth of Field preview button with the mirror locked up.
Release shutter. Just ONE muffled little "thunk' and that's it.

So I tried it with a HAMA lens / filter wrench holding the DOF button in. The
same, naturally. However, that does not work for a fatter lens like the 100.
OK for the 50/1.8 .  So I'll have to fabricate a universal button clamp.

It ought to be the same with the OM4T on self-timer, but where the OM1 has
it all over the OM4T is that is you are doing macro work outside and having
to cope with slight wind gusts which move your subject, you need to be able
to release the shutter when the subject is momentarily still. Anticipating this
12 seconds ahead with the timer on the 4 is an impossibility.

HAMA. I have several of their accessories bought 10 + years ago. A variety
of rings to adapt, stop-down reversed lenses, mate lenses face-to-face; the
filter wrenches; AND auto closeup tubes for OM; 12, 20, 36mm, with the OM
 7mm makes a very functional set for a fraction of the cost of all OM.

I also have Ross and Kaiser accessories, also good.

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!