Re: [Kodachrome] Re: [OM] The people who killed Kodachrome [long]

Subject: Re: [Kodachrome] Re: [OM] The people who killed Kodachrome [long]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:55:04 +0000
At 20:00 12/19/01, Adam Gottschalk <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/18/01 5:35 PM, a human at jmorley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote thusly:

> One statistic I would like to know is how, say, one year's aging of
> an E-6 transparency equates in terms of minutes of time in the
> projector for a K-14 transparency.

You may already know this one, but the one stat I've seen that is somewhat
related is that Ektachrome can take about 3 hours total of projection before
fading sets in and Kodachrome can supposedly only take about an hour.

The numbers I've seen are about 6 hours for Ektachrome and 3-4 hours for Kodachrome. However, exactly how long depends on at least a couple of factors:
(1)  Brightness level and heat from the projector lamp.
(2)  How much degradation is allowed to occur before it is declared "faded."

The second one in particular is usually based on an average human perception about the point at which "fade" is detectable. This is correlated to a much more accurate laboratory measurement (e.g., percentage of fading) that becomes defined as the threshold or boundary between "unfaded" and "faded." YMMV depending on both of the above.

-- John