Re: [OM] Slides - storage of

Subject: Re: [OM] Slides - storage of
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:29:24 +1300
Hi Mark and Damo,

I suppose I *was* beating the gun a bit.

As far as I know, the plastic boxes and sleeves that slides come back in
from the processor should be OK.

And if they are in a cardboard box; that's OK too 'cause they're in the dark.
Absolute archival purists might quibble about the acid in the cardboard.

But, if you have more than a few hundred, and need to be able to retrieve the
exact slide in a hurry, the system I have combined with a computer database
of key-words and descriptions of each one that is worth cataloguing, works
very well

BTW, years ago I bought an Olympus Pearlcorder for recording the details of
each shot as I took it. I never got around to using it for that. I still use
the
system I have always used - a special notebook with all details written at the
time, or as soon after as I can arrange. It's interesting to go back through
these notebooks now, and recall the place-names and people I'd otherwise
be pushed to recall accurately.

What details do I record?

The columns are, from the left,

Date, Locality, hour&weather, exposure value (Weston meter; Auto, Manual,
Spot, etc), camera& lens, photo serial number (entered later), Subject,
shutter speed, aperture, focus.

At the top of each page I have the roll serial number, Film make and type,
speed, format, expiry date, roll code #.

Anywhere I can fit it on the line of each shot, such details as tripod or not,
hand-held, self-timer or whatever, filter, lenshood or not, flash, all get
crammed in as best I can, in a *short-hand code*. Not very tidy, but it works.

Brian

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:55:41 -0800 (PST)
> From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Slides - storage of
>
> How does this compare to carboard shoebox though :)
>
> Mark Lloyd

AND