[OM] Slides - storage of

Subject: [OM] Slides - storage of
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:42:59 +1300
Hi Zuiks

Since the discussion of Kodachrome began, one or two people said they
might give slide film a whirl.

Just a note about storage of the slides. In the dark.

NEVER in any kind of PVC. PVC contains lubricants which migrate, and
dissolve the dyes from the film.

Some outfits sell archival systems using what they claim is safe PVC from
which the solvents have been removed. I don't know if I can believe them -
anyway I haven't tried their products.

I took a clue from George Schaub's book "Shooting for Stock", in which he
lists  - I dunno - about 40 companies selling archival systems.

I wrote to all of them asking for brochures - info etc. About half replied.

In the end I settled on the product sold by a company near Surry Hills <g>,
yes, it's in OZ, and a great product. I think they import it from Germany.

The system is poly-propylene or poly-ethylene (forget which) clear hangers
which take 4 x 6 slides per sheet and hang in a standard (USA) legal
(foolscap to others) filing cabinet.

Works very well; I have absolutely no regrets about deciding on this system.

If you want details, give me a buzz.

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!