Re: [OM] My first slide film

Subject: Re: [OM] My first slide film
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:47:49 +0000
At 09:52 12/17/01, M. Royer wrote:
Well as I have said in a few recent posts I am soon to
get and try my first slide film. In fact I plan to get
it today.

Try a roll of K-64 . . . and if you're bent on Kodak, a roll of Elitechrome 100 also. You'll be able to say you've used Kodachrome even if you don't continue using it. Compare what you get back from each.

ISO 64 is 2/3 stop slower than ISO 100; one of the reasons I have the faster lenses. Once I became accustomed to shooting at ISO 64, it wasn't so bad. The daytime outdoor occasions in which there isn't enough film speed are very rare. With ISO 100, it's exceptionally rare. Indoors, a T-20 suffices, and a T-32 helps with longer distances.

I won't claim one film is better than another. Each of the chromes has its own "character" that makes it different form the others. Experiment with different films by shooting a roll or two of them and eventually select what you want based on what you decide is important for your photographs.

-- John