Re: [OM] Thank you (was Intro)

Subject: Re: [OM] Thank you (was Intro)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:14:23 +0000
At 03:46 12/16/01, Les Clark wrote:
In <200112130612.fBD6CRa10364@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 12/12/01 at
10:12 PM,
   "tai limtai lim tan" <jttlim@xxxxxx> said:

>Now I just have to convince my wife that I really "Need" these lenses.

You've won half the battle already by convincing yourself. Nothing
convinces another more than the conviction one holds oneself. Yep.
That's it. Hold firmly and plunge ahead. Damn the torpedoes...no, no,
that's another battle....

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

Strategy:
Find subject material she likes very much, buy the lens, and then make photographs of that subject material for her. Do it in a manner that is clearly beyond the technical capability of her camera(s). Works for me . . . and we have large display prints of selected ones on the walls.

Alternate strategy, especially if she has a camera system just as capable:
Let her buy something she wants at about the same price, then buy your lens. Sometimes subtle encouragement when she wants something helps. Of course, they're not dumb to this game and catch on to it fast, but it doesn't matter if she really wants something badly. This has also worked for me.

-- John