Re: [OM] Thank you (was Intro)

Subject: Re: [OM] Thank you (was Intro)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 05:28:33 -0700
At 10:12 PM 12/12/2001 -0800, Jonathan Tan wrote:
I want to thanks every one(esp Adi,c.h.LingPete,Rich,Roger,Bill,Jim,hnz,Henrik Dahl) from the bottom of my heart for giving me kind advise and suggestion on my new purchase.

From what I gather , the following "items"is the 'must have' for every zuiko lovers :21/2
                    24/2.8 28/2  50/1.2  50/1.4(>1100000)
                    24/3.5 AND 35/2.8 PC shift
                    85/2  90/2  135/2.8  180/2 or 2.8
                    35-105 3.5/4.5   35-80 2.8
                    T32 Flash  and winder 2

Jonathan:

I've watched this thread for a while, and enjoyed it. But I'd also like to offer my advice.

Even *attempting* to get all of these lenses at once will drive you crazy. A better method that I've seen some people suggest in the past is to start with the widest lens you could want, and then make a list of three lenses, starting with the wide one you chose and then moving "up" in terms of focal length. The goal here is *not* to lust after every Zuiko ever made (though it's a worthy goal <grin>), but rather to aim for a workable kit that you'd actually use. Some people suggest doubling the focal length (or its nearest equivalent) each step up.

For instance, I went to Europe last spring, and wanted to keep the kit size (and the fiddling) down to a minimum, so I asked myself, "With only three lenses, what would I kick myself for if I left it behind?" The answer came down to a 21/2.0, 28/2.0 and 90/2.0 Zuiko. I got enormous use out of these three focals, and only missed having a more powerful telephoto precisely once in a month's worth of shooting. I broke the "doubling" rule, but it made sense -- wides were very useful in Europe, and the 28/2.0's got almost zero barrel or pincushion distortion, rather remarkable for that focal length and the compactness of the design. (It's also my "everyday" lens.)

The answer would have been different had I another destination in mind -- Europe's got lots of interesting, cramped, cool cities and places where wides are absolutely essential (IMHO). If I'd been on a photo shoot with some of the local models, I would've chosen three different lenses (50/1.8 "Made in Japan", 100/2.0, 250/2.0! :-P). But of course, I don't shoot models every day (not even every decade, anymore **HEAVY SIGH**), so it wouldn't be a realistic kit to start. But the Europe kit *is* one person's "realistic" kit, I think, albeit a bit pricey. (You can find F2.8 versions at or near all those focal lengths which are much less expensive.)

Have fun!

Garth