Re: [OM] Sigma on OM, 180 F2.8 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Sigma on OM, 180 F2.8 Macro
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:13:06 EST
In a message dated 12/14/01 7:40:55 AM Central Standard Time, wclark@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Anyone ever use the Sigma 180 2.8?  I saw one foe sale recently (they do not
>  know the price though, it has been there a while).  It is heavy and all
>  metal.  82mm filters though.  Anyone heard of this lens for the OM?  It was
>  discontinued but I cannot find any reviews on it.  Anyone with experience

Hi Bill,
I bought one last year. As are all late Sigma's, the lens focuses in the
opposite direction from Olympus. The positives are internal focus, tripod
mount, and one half life size macro capability. The negatives are 82mm
filters and weight. The F2.8 speed makes focusing easy. With a 2x
teleconvertor, you get life size images. As far as being rare, when I sent
the lens to Sigma for cleaning, the service tech, who claimed he was on Oly
user, said he had never seen an Oly mount in that lens. For what it's worth,
I paid $200 for mine. Is it worth buying? If you like longer macro lenses,
this lens and the 180 F5.6 Sigma along with the Oly 135 macro are the only
options. One other thing. As you focus towards infinity, the focusing ring
requires progressively less movement for large changes in focus distance.

Gary Faulkenberry