Re: [OM] 200/4 -vs- 200/5?

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/4 -vs- 200/5?
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:55:12 -0800 (PST)
> >The 200/4 also makes (with extension tubes) a most wonderful
> >macro lens.  The bokeh is dreamy.  However, stopped WAY down,
> it
> >gives awesome DOF and sharpness.  Size/Weight of the 200/4 is
> >nearly perfect.
>
> Hmm.. can you give me a hint of which extension tubes work
> with the 200/4?

Sure.  Probably any extension tube works with the 200/4.  I have
an old set of Olympus Manual Tubes.  For the past year, I've
been using the 25mm and the 14mm.  With both tubes stacked and
the lens cranked in for close focusing, my working distance is
about 1 meter (three feet).  Image width is about 5 or 6 inches.

The 200/4 close focuses (without extension tubes) to just under
2.5 meters, so the extension tubes do greatly assist in getting
the 200/4 close enough for flower pictures.

Stopped down, this combination is very sharp and gives very good
DOF.

It goes without saying, that the silver-nosed variety is better.

AG-Schnozz