Re: [OM] Re: OM questions 35-70 Zooms & Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM questions 35-70 Zooms & Scanners
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:40:14 -0800
1) Yeah, the f/3.6 uses a 55mm filter.

2) I went through this a few months ago, talked to others with various solutions and did a lot of internet research. If you are only talking about 35mm or smaller negatives, I think a film scanner is a better solution than a flat-bed. I ended up with a CanoScan 2710, with VUESCAN.EXE to replace the bundled software and have been very happy with it. Excellent results from slides and negs and amazing results from some APS negs; quality 8x10s from about half of a neg! It seems crummy process/printing sells this format way short of it's potential. I did pay $500, but they are probably cheaper now.

Jim Couch wrote:

The lens is marked S ZUIKO AUTO-ZOOM 35~70mm 1:3,5~4,5 and uses a 49mm filter.
Are you sure yours is 3.5? It sounds like what you have is the 35-70 f/3.6

I will let others more knowledgeable answer your scanner question more
specifically, burt the question of whether a less expensive scanner will work
for you has a lot to do with what you want to do with the output. If you jsut
want to post picures on the web then your requirments will not be as stringint
as if you want to print 8x10 or larger prints for example.

Jim Couch

Thomas A Simmons wrote:

1) After the discussion on the 35-70 lens, I looked again at mine. Is the
3.5 - 4.5 version
marked  with just the 3.5? The one I have takes 55MM filters, and has a
helical device to
zoom (IE, I twist a ring on the lens)

2) Scanners: without breaking the bank, which scanner(s) are recommended.
Let's assume
that the most important feature is to scan negatives. I have few slides,
but may try this aspect
now that I've found this list. That leaves scanning documents and prints in
decreasing
importance. SInce Polaroid is going into bankrupcy, I would tend to shy
away from this unit.
Is $250.00 USD a reasonable level? (No way could I talk SWMBO into going
above $500)

Thanks for any replies

Tom