Re: [OM] Telescopes (not completely OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Telescopes (not completely OT)
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:42:12 +0000
jowilcox wrote:

> I buzzed through the archives for info about telescopes and adapters for OM
> bodies and got lots of great info from OM list titans Paul Schings and Chuck
> Norcutt. Thanks guys (well after the fact).
>
> I'm not likely to become an astronomer. I'm not likely to use a telescope to
> photograph anything, but we were thinking about a telescope as a "family
> holiday gift," and it is possible that my son may conceive an interest in
> nocturnal sky lore and want to try to photograph something someday.
>
> Or maybe not.  Hence my caution about a large investment.
>
> Are the various Meade brand scopes one sees at Walmart etc. OK?  Are they good
> enough to encourage (rather than discourage) interest?  Are they worth getting
> adapters for at least for starters if the boy wants to try a shot of the moon,
> etc.?
>
> Joel W.

Meade are a quality brand of telescope.  I wouldn't mind one myself but
it's a fair way down my long list of things to spend frivolously on -
more OM gear first!  I suspect that if you don't want to get into
astronomy in a big way but do want to get a quality instrument, an
ETX-90 might be your thing.  It's very compact, but comes with rave
reviews.  I've never used one, but I know people who own them and they
love it.  Check out http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html for a lot more
information.  You'll be an astroholic before you know it.

Roger