[OM] Intro

Subject: [OM] Intro
From: Peter Dixon <P.Dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:02:51 +0000
Hi Jonathan - welcome to the list !

I'm sure you'll get a load of answers to your questions; here are a few of my opinions:

Which is the most highly sought after/popular prime lenses from wide,standard to tele?

Depends on how much money you have, and what angle of view you like to shoot at. For value for money on the second hand market and as a basic starter set of lenses the 28/2.8, 50/1.8 (made in japan version) 100/2.8 and 200/4 or 5 all perform well.

If you have more money, most focal lengths are available at a faster F-number, in general the picture quality is slightly better but the lenses are larger/heavier.

Having been using OM gear for 11 years , my lenses corresponding to the above list are 28/2, 50/1.2, 100/2.8, 180/2.8 - and the sought after 35-80/2.8 zoom.

Other especially sought-after lenses - well just about all of them but esp. the 90/2 macro, the 100/2 and the 250/2 and 350/2.8 if you can justify the cost, the 21/2 and wider if you are into ultra wide ........ I could go on and on...

Also,is it true that the zooms that have variable aperture should be avoided totally?

No - the two lenses that came with the OM 2000 yes (35-70 3.5/4.8 and the 70-210), they are poor performers.

The 35-70/3.5-4.5 has a very strong following (this is your cue, Tom S...)

The 35-105/3.5-4.5 is sometimes the forgotten zoom in the om-range, I like it a lot as do a number of people on this list.

I'm also thinking of adding a motor drive unit and flash to the system...which model to choose?

Quick suggestion would be the winder 2 and a T32 flash.

This is just a few opinions , I'm sure other people will step in.

I hope you enjoy the 2sp, 11 yaers ago on my 18th birthday a 2sp started this whole OM thing , and I havn't managed to shake the habbit yet

Regards

Pete

Dr. Peter Dixon
Neurogenetics Unit, Department of Molecular Pathogenesis
6th Floor, Institute of Neurology
Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG
Tel: 0207 837 3611 xtn 4305