Re: [OM] Flare redux: Sun Stars?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flare redux: Sun Stars?
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:11:25 +0100
At 16:24 10.12.01, joel Wilcox wrote:
I think I now understand why it is important to stop down in order to get a good diffraction star. One wants to take advantage of the larger role that diffraction will have on the image. But couldn't this explain differences between lenses and their ability to make diffraction stars? If one lens is "poorer" at the smaller stops because of diffraction, mightn't it be "better" at making diffraction stars?

Yes, sort of, but remember that lens test show the sum of all errors, not just diffraction. If your lenses used round aperures only, you'd expect them to show the same amount of diffraction at the same f/-number, regardless of focal length. Fewer blades (and an even number of them. Example: 7blades=14spikes, 8blades=8spikes) would however show fewer but brighter diffraction spikes.

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn