[OM] Only Maitani stuff

Subject: [OM] Only Maitani stuff
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 22:45:16 +1300
Hi,

While doing a search for fungus-on-lenses material I tripped over this URL for
a New Zealand photographer who I was slightly aware of; and seems to use
Only Maitani cameras.

http://www.naturespic.com/articles/article6/article6.html

On fungi and glass, there seems to be a lot more useful information available
in the scientific knowledge base than has filtered through to photographers.

A couple of things; The ageing of MIR and its failures were in large part due
to the corrosion effects of fungi and bacteria attacking cables and electronic
gear and glass, as anything else. There were 250 species identified.

It is the waste products of the fungi, living on whatever useful they can pick
up, that etch glass. Not the plants per se.

Ultra-violet light damages / kills these fungi (some or all ? ), so, taking
your
lenses out of their hidey-holes every couple of months and letting the sun
shine through should help prolong their fungus-free state. Apparently.

There are good anti-fungal compounds in existence that could be used, it
seems, but I am not close to getting their identity.

Brian