RE: [OM] K-14 processing?

Subject: RE: [OM] K-14 processing?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 20:35:54 +0000
At 17:32 12/7/01, Gries asked:
Great!  Some people have told me that, but I was a bit hesitant to give
to Walgreen's....

The Qualex (Kodak Premium Processing) courier picks it up and it gets routed to the nearest Qualex K-14 lab. This may not be the nearest Qualex lab; not all of them have K-14 (or B/W, or E-6). Turnaround for me is about a week. You can now ask for plastic slide mounts (put the request in the special instructions box at the bottom). Much, much better than the cardboard and far less "Koda-dust" to blow off the slides when you get them back.

Favorite film, eh?  How does it compare to Provia F?

I do use other films, including Provia 100F, but not very often. Provia 100F has the same acuity in projection. It's slightly finer grained, but edge definition isn't as high. Kodachrome 64 is very slightly coarser, but its extremely thin emulsion helps create a very sharp edge definition. The two work together in creating the visual appearance of "sharpness" in projection (and in printing them). Provia 100F color is accurate, and saturation is similar. Overall color response from Kodachrome seems slightly deeper, and Provia 100F seems a little bolder; mostly in the greens.

Remember Kodachrome 64 is 2/3 stop slower which means you can get into low light troubles sooner. Provia 100F reciprocity failure doesn't occur until you hit about 30 seconds exposure; Kodachrome 64 is good to about 1 second, although I've pushed the envelope to close to 10 seconds without severe problems (Kodak's recommendations are conservative).

One effect from both Provia and Sensia I've noted during night shooting. Extrememly bright sources of light in the foreground seem to bleed sideways in the film emulsion creating a slight "blob" effect around the light source. This doesn't happen with Kodachrome.

Run an A vs. B comparison of same/similar subject material under same/similar lighting. See which you like better.

-- John