RE: [OM] OT second curtain sync

Subject: RE: [OM] OT second curtain sync
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:53:51 -0700
> What is second curtain sync?

One of the explanations from when I asked this a couple of weeks ago:

 - - -
However, I eventually realized that, while it
makes no difference at the camera's fastest synch. shutter speed (1/60
in OMs), it DOES make a difference at slower shutter speeds.

For example, suppose you want to shoot a model in an interior shot,
where the model will be flash lit, using the TTL flash control. If you
want the poorly lit background to appear dimly in the picture, although
it's out of range of the flash, You would select an aperture (in auto
mode) that results in quite a low shutter speed, like 1/4 second.
However, if the flash is synchronized to the first curtain, it will
kill the shutter before 1/4 second is up, because the TTL OTF light
measurement will decide that the film has had enough light. If it's
synchronized to the second curtain, the flash will not interfere with
the available light auto-exposure.

Another example is if you want to take a shot of a passing car at night
so that its rear lights leave a red trail behind the car. Only 2nd
curtain flash will do this.