RE: [OM] Re-introduction

Subject: RE: [OM] Re-introduction
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:18:38 +0100
Hiya Joel,
Welcome back!

> I finished one of the rolls from these trips with some shots of our
newly-adopted
> kittens, Brando and Sparky.  There used to be list members who were into
cats, and
> fortunately or unfortunately Olaf probably won't let me save these for the
long-
> anticipated "Kitten TOPE" --

Hehehe, it seems you missed out on the TOPE voting rounds! Indeed, only a
few weeks ago we voted for the new themes, and the themes for the next two
years have been set. Sorry, no Kitten TOPE in there :(

Then, of course you could be creative, and take a special shot of them using
a flash, so your shot would qualify for TOPE 8 :)

> oh well, they're not that great anyway:
> http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/new-cats.html

I thought they were pretty nice, cute cats! :)

> diffuser.  Velvia seems to me to be actually OK for skin tones (my kids
are
> also in a couple of these shots) with flash illumination as long as there
is
> enough exposure.  (Olaf demonstrated something similar with E100VS some
months ago.)

I think it depends a lot on the type of skin tones. Just like is the case
for Karol (in the E100VS demonstration shot you mentioned), your kids have a
slightly coloured skin. I think E100VS works very well for that kind of skin
(I have no experience with Velvia, other than what I've seen in other
people's shots), but it seems to me that Velvia may not work so well for
Caucasian skin tones: the shots I've seen taken with Velvia tend to have
very redish skin tones. Then, I remember you writing that your kids looked
like "devils on fire" :) when you shot them with E100VS during the golden
hours, so perhaps there's more to it than just the choice of film and the
colour of the skin...

I have to say that, so far, I'm very satisfied with the colours I get out of
E100VS. I love it for dull days (when Provia F goes flat) and for when I
want extreme colour saturation, such as in the Didymium shots I posted last
week. Should you have missed those: they are at:
http://www.millennics.com/olympus/various/didymiumtest.html

Cheers!
Olafo