Re: [OT][OM] Palm [was hyper focal scales, or lack there of

Subject: Re: [OT][OM] Palm [was hyper focal scales, or lack there of
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:37:24 -0500
On Sunday, December 02, 2001 at 15:01, Winsor Crosby
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OT][OM] Palm [was hyper focal scales, or lac" saying:

> >  > I have dofCalc on my Palm as well. I use the note
> >>  function to keep track of the locations, lens,
> >>  aperture, shutter speed, filters, and exposure
> >>  compensation. I also jotted notes from Skip Williams
> >>  excellent eBay price database so I could have this
> >>  when cruising camera stores and pawn shops.
> >>  Warren
> >>
> >And the advantage over a pencil and paper is...? Pencil & paper being
> >lighter, smaller, cheaper, easier, more fool proof etc., etc.
> >
> >Mike
> >
> >--
> >Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West
> >

> Lots of advantages.I keep lots of information on it that I could not
> possibly keep organized with paper and pencil.  Besides the address
> book,  and calendar it has a note function in which I have things
> like photo reference material I don't use enough to remember
> reliably, grocery lists for each store I usually shop in,  packing
> lists for travelling, a list of URLs to check out, books I have read
> reviews of that I might want to check out at the library, CD lists. I
> have Moby Dick, the entire novel, a couple of Shakespeare plays, and
> some articles loaded which I am reading when stuck in a waiting room.
> There are thousands of applications which can be loaded. I have one
> for metric conversions and money conversion when traveling. I have an
> interest in astronomy and have a couple of applications that give
> planet, star and moon information and their movements. I can load
> family photos into it.  I also have a neat little application that
> acts like a compass. You point an arrow on the screen at the sun and
> based on the calendar and time of day it calculates and points to
> north for you. Of course there are games, but they don't have much
> appeal for me.
>
> It is much lighter than the 3 pound paper organizer I used to use on
> my job. It is much more flexible in rescheduling appointments.  The
> information is all in one place, not in two or three little notebooks
> or a multitude of scraps of paper. Its little reminder alarm keeps me
> on time.  And it fits in my pocket.  You don't use it just for taking
> notes. That is just one of the functions.  It is pretty much
> foolproof because everything is backed up when you synch it with your
> home or office computer. No one really believes how useful these
> things are until they take the plunge and buy one.

Ditto. And don't forget the global "Find" function.

Tom

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633
fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa Ont. Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls
into them
they ensnare it, but large things break through and
escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."     --
Benjamin Franklin