Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:34:15 +0000
If I needed to replace my OM system from scratch, the Nikon FM2, FE2, FM3 and F3 would be a consideration. The Nikkors overall are an excellent lens line and Nikon seems committed to supporting its manual system and that would be the primary reason. Having handled an FE2 a little, its functionality was like a cross between the OM-2S and OM-4, with the body top cap not quite as rugged (especially around the prism). The F3, while very rugged and built like a tank, it also has the size and weight of one.

That said, Nikon's manual focus bodies are heavier, clunkier (especially the F3), shutters are noisier, the lenses bulkier, and the faster Olympus Zuiko's are on par with everything I've seen made using an equivalent Nikkor. IMO the overall OM system is a more elegant design (even if some of it isn't made any more) and that's the reason I stay with it.

-- John