RE: [OM] Re: 4040 Close-up OT

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: 4040 Close-up OT
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 12:02:52 -0800
I know it's not quite the same, but the miniature TV cameras I work with use
similar sensor technologies and a bigger sensor is not always better ...

If a 1/2" CCD has the same no. of pixels as a 1/3" CCD then each pixel will
be effectively "bigger" on the 1/2" CCD resulting in an image which is not
so "smooth".  In many situations, if the no. of pixels is the same, it is
better to have the smaller CCD.

Anyone care to comment ?  I'm open to being persuaded from this argument !!
Also anyone got any info on how the sensors differ between TV and stills
cameras ?

-snip

Jon

I think you are assuming that the lens formula will not be adjusted for the different sensor size which it would be. So I think that your digital cameras with different size CCDs set to the same angle equivalent for instance to the 50mm normal lens of a 35mm camera would see the same number of pixels. In other words, if you display the same number of pixels on a CRT, the image is the same size no matter how the size of the CCD varies. What you see inside the pixellated image depends on the angle of the lens.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California