RE: [OM] Re: 4040 Close-up OT

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: 4040 Close-up OT
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:25:38 -0000
I know it's not quite the same, but the miniature TV cameras I work with use
similar sensor technologies and a bigger sensor is not always better ...

If a 1/2" CCD has the same no. of pixels as a 1/3" CCD then each pixel will
be effectively "bigger" on the 1/2" CCD resulting in an image which is not
so "smooth".  In many situations, if the no. of pixels is the same, it is
better to have the smaller CCD.

Anyone care to comment ?  I'm open to being persuaded from this argument !!
Also anyone got any info on how the sensors differ between TV and stills
cameras ?

On a final point, the thing that really seperates "pro" TV cameras from
"non-pro" cameras is very often the number of sensors.  "Pro" ones have the
light coming through the lens onto a prism which splits the light up into
the 3 colours Red, Green, & Blue, with a separate sensor for each.  I know
one of the reasons this is better is only really relevant to capturing a
moving image rather than a still image, but does anyone who is particularly
in "the know" regarding digi stills cameras have any ideas whether this
would improve the quality of the image ?  Possible development for future
digi cameras ?

Right,  used enough bandwidth with my ramblings already !

Jon