Re: [OM]

Subject: Re: [OM]
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:09:46 -0500
We had Microsoft certified technicians out to network our school. They charged $150 an hour (their company did anyway), and took 5 hours to network seven nodes (there were some admitted problems with three stations). That sounds steep until you consider how much a business can make with a network vs. not having a network for their computers and printers.

We recently figured the difference in printing a set of mailing labels on a tractor feed dot matrix printer vs. our networked copy machine. The first took over two hours, tied up the office computer for the whole time, and created lots of noise. The copier took five minutes, and increased the productivity of our secretary during that time period by over 2400%.

Programmers do the same kind of productivity boosting by creating the software that make a business run. I can't imagine teaching without computers as my students in math and science are involving in writing and editing, graphics, spreadsheets, or using the Internet. Just today I had students who are not very good at fractions comparing stocks over the course of a week and predicting what their price should be on Friday. They used Excel to chart and graph each stock, then used formulas to figure the daily gain or loss and analyse patterns (if any were apparent). They could never have accomplished this without the software.

Gregg

I can't? How do you think I can afford these toys Larry?

Tom