Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:21:56 -0800
 > Japanese quality? No question it could be one of the best in
 theworld.

Many of we Japanese still believe that the Germans make better
products. True or not, we want to believe that way <g>.

As I read in a photo magazine recently, a journalist found some
*ikon lenses and *eica lenses made in the same factory (of maybe
*amron or *igma) at around Nagano, Japan. This guy says one reason
the *eica lenses are more expensive is because they have a stricter
quality standard and trash more "out of standard" elements.

I don't know if this is true, but at least this guy says he was
awakened from his dream and stopped lusting after *eica lenses (for
a few days).

kazuya matsumoto

I used to own a Leica M3 when I became interested in moving over to an SLR design. My awakening came when Leica dropped their own SLR efforts and started selling rebadged $250 Minolta bodies, with minor reworking, as Leica SLRs for $1200. I suddenly realized that all that extra money was not just buying intrinsically better quality. :-)

Also interesting in the history of the rise of the Japanese camera industry is that Nikon got their initial status boost when they manufactured their own lens with a Leica mount which news pros snapped up because it was cheaper and sharper than the Leica lens. It is interesting too that most of the development of miniature cameras in the last 25 years has come out of Japan. Through the lens metering, reasonable size(we know who did that) through redesign of the camera, exposure automation, autofocus, special lenses such a the Canon TS lenses and lens stabilization designs add up to a revolution in camera design that enables people to make excellent photographs in a wider variety of conditions than ever before. The result is that the widely used pro systems come out of Japan and the Europeans a satisfied with the exorbitantly expensive high quality boutique lines. To use the car analogy, the real engineering prowess is not building a $50k Audi S4 for instance, but in building a $24K Subaru WRX that plays in the same league.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California