Re: [OM] Fw: 80-200mm f/2.8 prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: 80-200mm f/2.8 prices
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:25:36 -0800
In a message dated 11/15/2001 Tom Scales writes:

<< Gary Reese asked me to share this information with the list.  It is
an
interesting comparison of the Tamron and the Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 lenses
on
ebay. >>

Boy, it's really quite a shame that a contributer as valuable as Gary
Reese is still not back among us.

Anyway, the minor flaw I see in his pricing comparison is that I am sure
many of us who bought Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 LD lenses off ebay for our
OMs did not get them with Olympus mounts. For example, mine came with a
Nikon mount and SP 2X converter with real element seperation, both of
which which I promptly sold on ebay to help offset the cost of the lens,
thus bringing the net cost down. I believe I paid ~$300.00 for the lens,
mount, and converter. Definately "bargain" condition, but it performs
very well. Net price was around $260.00 - $270.00 or so.

Both used Tamrons I have bought off ebay had other mounts and in both
cases I got around 15-20$ for each mount on the first listing I tried to
sell them.

I tend to also agree that using converters with the Adaptall mount is a
PITA in the field. I have a hard enough time with the Zuiko 1.4XA on the
350/2.8. With the Adaptall, you need one hand to hold the body, a pair
of hands to remove the mount, and more hands to install the converter
between the mount and the lens...allthewhile holding your OM-4T body in
your armpit or something. Not fun. If the Zuiko 1.4XA really works with
the Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 I think I would prefer the fixed mount
convenience when working with converters. Then again, I seldom use a
converter with my 80-200/2.8. When I want longer reach, I reach for the
big white one anyway.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com