Re: [OM] Trading etiquette?

Subject: Re: [OM] Trading etiquette?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:54:26 -0800
I have always given an inspection period. I have had two people send items back,
which I then sold to someone else. Different people have different
expectations. An
inspection period gaurentees that the customer is happy with the product. If
you have
a happy customer they will buy from you again. Believe it or not, this is the
easiest
way to deal with 'picky' customers. No back and forth flaming e-mails, bad
feedback,
or list grumbling. It is far easier to just refund the money than to deal wth
someone
who is unhappy. I feel it is also fairer to the seller and buyer both. When I
describe a lens as excellent, or near new, or whatever, no one has a firm idea
what
my standards are. The return period also covers us both if I miss something in
my
inspection or description. Short of meeting in person to inspect the items I
think
the evaluation period is the best way to go. I think people are also willing to
bid
higher, or pay more for an item that has an inspection period available.

Jim Couch

"Barry B. Bean" wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:41:25 -0600, Dean wrote:
>
> >What is the customary trading etiquette - whether through this group or
> >ebay? Are evaluation periods the norm? What do you do with picky buyers?
> >Perhaps, the question is better as: What are reasonable trading practices
> >between buyer and seller? thanks.
>
> There may not be a formal consensus, but every person I've bought or
> sold gear with had a trial period (2 days to 2 weeks) during which
> the item could be returned for a full refund less shipping.
>
> I've never returned anything nor had anything returned.
> -
> B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Bean & Bean Cotton Co
> http://www.beancotton.com