[OM] Tamron 80-200/2.8

Subject: [OM] Tamron 80-200/2.8
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:01:38 -0800
In a message dated 11/14/2001 Thomas Bryhn writes:

<< I've got one of these monsters on my hand for about 180USD all
included, in
almost perfect cosmetic condition with case, tripod collar and perfect
glass, but it sounds like the zoom mechanism is very loose. According to
the seller it zooms by itself when tilted more than about 45 degrees up
or
down. Anyone know if this a design fault, an easy fix with a
screwdriver,
or a sign of excessive wear?
Any advice at all? >>

Congratulations, sounds like you got a great deal to me! How loose? Both
Tamron SP zooms I have owned (this one and a now gone 60-300 that I
bought new) have had some "zoom creep" and I don't let it bother me. If
it feels mechanically good and not rattling or anything ugly, it is
probably okay. Sure, you can send it off and have it gone through but
the zoom creep will be back sooner or later so it may be better,
assuming all is okay with the lens, to learn to work around it.

I use mine a lot and always in situations where movement of zoom and
focus after prefocusing would be a bad thing. I rest the lens with the
tripod holder on my left palm and grasp the zoom/focus ring. This way,
once the zoom and focus are set I can "lock" that with my fingers while
shooting away (usually panning like crazy and rechecking every 5-10
shots I haven't slipped).

I suppose it could be considered a design fault since when new they
aren't this way (at least my 60-300 wasn't) but as they age zoom creep
sets in. Pretty common in "one-touch" zoom designs. When you see the
results you get with this lens (assuming it is in decent shape) you'll
quickly forget about this minor annoyance. It doesn't bother me a bit
now that I'm used to working with it.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com