Re: [OM] Olympus O Product

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus O Product
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:43:36 -0500
Cc: royer007@xxxxxxxxx
I have a friend that uses an Olympus O Product for his normal family camera. He liked the aluminum, retro look and bought it for that reason. It's basically an Olympus P&S underneath. No special features other than the design that I know of. He says it produces fine pictures. BTW, it only has an f/3.5 35mm lens.

More info at
- http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/special_models.html

An O product is not the same as a Leica LE (Limited Edition). The underlying camera is the rock-solid M6 in any outer guise. It's amazing that Leica has been able to conjur up this marketing mumbo-jumbo and keep the market alive for its M6 LE's. For a fee and minimum run, they'll basically make a camera in any form you want. Most people don't use them, but put them on a shelf in the sealed package and sell them later. Some appreciate a lot, some a little. But almost none really lose value unless you overpaid to start.

I have an M6 Titatium that is my everyday M camera. It's not a LE, but it's different and I like it (the premium was only about $200 when I bought mine). I've had many people say to me "Why are you using it? Aren't you worried that it will get scratched?". Geez, get a life! Every so often, I see a truely LE being used like the Platinum M6 I saw a few weeks ago as someone's everyday camera.

Links:

List of LE's: http://teachnet.edb.utexas.edu/~leica/msped.html

Cameraquest has most of the LE's on their site. It's interesting and entertaining reading at: http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

M6 Platinum (1989): http://www.cameraquest.com/camsnet/M6Pl150.htm ($5-7,000 now) This is a beautiful camera in person, but a bit flashy.

M6 Titanium pictures here http://www.cameraquest.com/mcom.htm

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.