Re: [OM] Backpacking through Europe help

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpacking through Europe help
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:27:56 +0100
What countries are you visiting, and how many hours per country? (Sorry, old european joke about americans.) But seriously, wouldn't it be possible to contact european members on the list and have them/us develop film in trustworthy places and then send insured home to you? Or (if you stay in a city at least two days) at least from a member get the adress to a good lab beforehand. First thing when you arrive in the city you go to that lab and turn in what you've taken in the city(ies) before. Most small, manual labs will do only developing overnight. It's about $4 develop only, or ca $7 with contact-sheet. Are you flying inside Europe? They're getting pretty stiff on security on airports here too. Otherwise there shouldn't be any x-ray places to worry about. Haven't seen any in museums, and it's mostly photo prohibited anyway.
Have a really nice journey and welcome to the old world.

Henrik Dahl

OK, well, I just got laid off on Friday.  (Please don't feel bad for me, I
actually wanted to be laid off) this allows me to finish school, and then
maybe take a backpacking trip through Europe.  Actually before that, I'll be
taking a road trip across America.

Question::

I'm planning when I am in Europe, to take probably 1 roll a day...  What do
I do with the film??  I mean, I am not going to be in any one place for a
long time, I abhor 1 hour photo development places, and also, bulk of film
(assuming it doesn't get cooked by heat, or get wet) is just horrible..

So what is the simple solution, or is there one?  Should I really try to
develop it asap, or wait for better (trustworthy) development at home and
risk not having any photo's developed (say lost of luggage) etc..?

Thanks.
Albert