Re: [OM] Power and the 4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Power and the 4T
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:35:50 -0500
Or try the lithium batteries - much better in cold weather, tho life end is
more sudden.

Tom

On Saturday, November 10, 2001 at 13:53, M. Royer
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Power and the 4T" saying:

> The 4 series relies on the batteries much more than a 2 series I
think
> and therefore it dies faster in the cold becuase more things are
drawing
> off power. The 2 series is a better camera for freezing and worse
cold, of
> course neither compare to the 1 or 3-series which is the king of cold
> with the mechanical shutter. You might want new batteries though;
old
> ones can lose power really quickly especially if they are lr44 alkaline
> and not sr44 or 357 silver oxide. If you really want to take pictures in
> prolonged cold the 4 isn't going to work I'm afraid, you might want to
> get a 1(n) or 3(ti) and a good handheld meter that you can keep
warm. Or
> keep the 4 in your jacket for warmth although this can be bad for
lenses
> due to condensation and quick changes in temp.
>
> Mark Lloyd
>
> --- Bob Whitmire <rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Was out at dawn shooting with the 4T. Temp below
> > freezing, but not by much.
> > First time I've had this camera out in the chill.
> > Within a very few minutes,
> > there wasn't any power. Anemic single beep at
> > battery check. Took them out,
> > warmed them in my hands, put them back in again.
> > Plenty of power. Thirty
> > minutes later, gone again.
> >
> > Could be that the batteries were weak already. They
> > are the ones that came
> > in the camera. The beep was loud and sustained a day
> > or so ago so I figured
> > they were good. I've put new batteries in today but
> > haven't been back out.
> >
> > Is this typical?
> >
> > Second: With the Motor Drive 2 and the Ni-cad pack
> > with the remote cord so
> > that you can put the battery in your pocket in cold
> > weather . . . does this
> > take over all power functions of the camera, or just
> > the motordrive?
> > Wouldn't seem to make much difference if the MD
> > worked if the camera itself
> > was frozen up.
> >
> > I really like this camera and would hate to see it
> > perform poorly in cold
> > weather. My 2n went through last winter on one
> > battery with never a whimper
> > and never a camera-blown exposure--and I used a lot
> > of aperture-priority
> > exposures of more than a second's duration. (The
> > only ones blown were blown
> > by me.)
> >
> > Thanx!
> >
> > --Bob W.
> >

> > < This message was delivered via the Olympus Mailing
> > List >
> > < For questions,
> > mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
> > < Web Page:
> > http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html >

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -------------------
   ,__@         Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa Ontario Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974  Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714