[OM] Re: The elusive OM-3Ti

Subject: [OM] Re: The elusive OM-3Ti
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:23:48 -0500
>I've seen your work. Beautiful. But why a 3 instead of a 4 in manual
>mode? If you're not in Antarctis and don't specialize in medical
>shootings, it should be about the same thing. Don't misunderstand me
>- - I would give my right hand for an OM-3, just have to know why...
>
>Henrik Dahl

Why a 3 and not a 4?  We've had problems with 4's under extremely heavy
use.  John H. has repaired four different 4's in the last couple years that
have experienced shutter mechanism jams.  Just recently picked up a mint
4ti - maybe that will do better.

The batteries in a 4 tend to go dead when you're standing in 16 degree (F,
not C) weather waiting up to your knees in the snow for a train that is
supposed to appear in five minutes - and it shows up an hour later when
your batteries just froze to death and you're a ten minute hike from the
car.  Go ahead - ask me how I know.

The 3 and 3Ti are ultra-reliable.  Never had any kind of problem at all
with them.  They routinely shoot 100 rolls of film in a given week in
weather from zero degrees F in upper NY state in January to 115 degrees in
Arizona and Utah in the summertime.  They don't quit.  They don't break.
In the long run, the reliability factor could make them cheaper than a 4.
And there's just "something" about them that can't be described.  A very
different "feel."  And the 3Ti is a cool color, too.

The 3Ti works great with the F280 and T32.  No TTL flash on the plain 3.

Tom Scales really goofed selling me a mint 3Ti.  He should have kept it.

Steve Troy