[OM] Re: The elusive OM-3Ti

Subject: [OM] Re: The elusive OM-3Ti
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:09:55 +0100
I've seen your work. Beautiful. But why a 3 instead of a 4 in manual mode? If you're not in Antarctis and don't specialize in medical shootings, it should be about the same thing. Don't misunderstand me - I would give my right hand for an OM-3, just have to know why...

Henrik Dahl

OK, I'll bite.  I have a 3 and my brother has two 3Ti's - all purchased
used. The way we use our OMs, the 3Ti might just be the absolute best
camera Olymus ever came up with.  The majority of our subjects are trains,
and you really can't use autoexposure on a locomotive that is pointing at
you.  The headlights and ditch lights are VERY VERY bright and will make an
auto camera seriously underexpose the shot.  We usually use a handheld
light meter to get the exposure before the train shows up; if there isn't
time, we use the spot meter in the camera to take a reading off the track
ballast (which is usually around a Zone V gray).  I often use OM-4's as
well, but always on manual.  The number of autoexposure train photos I have
taken can be counted on one hand.  And with the 3Ti, who cares if the
batteries go dead?

To see some of the results. go to
http://www.dantroy.com/railroads/railroads.html.  Only the middle shot in
the bottom row was taken on auto with an OM-4; the rest are all "manual."

A few months ago I relayed the story of my brother using the 3Ti's to
photograph MRI machines in hospitals (see
http://www.dantroy.com/industrial/doctor.html - MRI machines produce such a
strong magnetic field that electronic shutter cameras won't work).  You can
find the messages in the archives.

Steve Troy