Re: [OM] 35mm film scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm film scanners
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 03:07:21 -0000
There's more information and a fair review of it here:
http://www.scannerplace.com.au/tamarack.htm but it seems pricey compared to
what I paid for mine.

It depends what you want and whether 1800 dpi is big enough for your needs.
I bought one as a Microtek FilmScan35 for 120 UKP with a 30 day money back
guarantee fully expecting to send it back, but I'm delighted with it  It's
my first USB device and such a novelty to be able to just switch it on
whenever I want to use it without having to reboot the system, and my first
scanner of any kind to work without days - or weeks - of strife.

Does a good job of colour slides or negatives but black & white negatives
are trickier, though I think I'm getting better at scanning those. There is
no automatic feeding, and only slides in card or very thin plastic mounts
can be used. Film strips drop into a shallow trough, enlarger fashion, and
are held in place under two clips. It will also take a full uncut 36
exposure film.

Documentation is poor, nothing more than just stating the obvious in several
languages. There are so far four pics on my website scanned by it -
www.keithberry.telinco.co.uk/kievgal1.htm

Regards,
Keith Berry
Birmingham, England