RE: [OM] Photoshop Results!

Subject: RE: [OM] Photoshop Results!
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:24:03 -0700
> > I believe this question has been asked and answered before, but I
> > would like to ask it again.  I need to purchase photo editing
> > software.  This will be my first time.  What are your
> > recommendations?  Thank you in advance for your advice. Ed

 You know, it strikes me that nobody's asked the really important question
yet.

 What do you want to do with the software?

 If all you need is basic touchup for web pages, then almost anything on the
market these days should be fine.

 If you want to print it on high-end printers, things get trickier; I think
Photoshop is the only one with decent prepress facilities, though I may be
wrong there.

 If you want to do whizzy graphical effects, things change again. If you
want a photoshop-like interface (and thus to be able to take advantage of
the tutorials/books out there), then photoshop or the gimp does the trick.
If you want lots of fine-grained control over exactly what's going on and to
have source-level access to the code, you want the gimp.

 etc, etc..

 -- dan