Re: [OM] Pentax M42 to OM mount adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentax M42 to OM mount adapter
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Nov 2001 10:12:55 +1000
Larry Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I picked up an M42 lens -> OM mount adapter on Ebay quite a while ago.
> It has a lens element in it to allow infinity focusing.  The brand
> name is Marumi, which I take to be a reputable (or at least reasonable)
> filter/accessory maker that does not have much presence in the U.S.
>
> I believe the extra element slightly increases the effective focal
> length of the attached M42 lens - you could have a 550mm (or so)
> telephoto with the adapter.
>
> If you got such an adapter but really don't want the extra element,
> you could always punch out the element and loose infinity focus!

On the M42 adapter that I have, the corrective element unscrews, which
is great for an M42 bellows, reversing ring, and reversed zuiko.

Beware that the M42 adapters cause vignetting at some apertures with
certain types of lens (typically long-focus lenses where the rearmost
element is a long way from the mounting ring).

--cjb