Re: [OM] Lens quality, Comp O/S and what-not else.

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens quality, Comp O/S and what-not else.
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:05:44 +1100
>I also bought her a Zuiko 35-105 macro zoom. Very much 2nd hand. It had
>lived most of its life attached to an OM2N used by a guy who was out in
>"the  scrub" for months on end, on some sort of conservation work. The
>camera  was VERY brassed, and both camera and lens were sticky, grubby
>(the  numbers were almost impossible to read) and one had the impression
>it had  spent months in a backpack with smelly used socks, a greasy
>sleeping-bag,  tomorrow's dinner got loose, and had been hung over a
>camp-fire to dry out.  The camera ( which worked fine) went to a repair
>man ostensibly for parts.
>I tried the lens out.  Guess what. This much used and abused example was
>and is distinctly sharper, and throws up much less flare if shooting into
>the  sun, than my personal example which I bought new in the box at a sale
>years ago and which has been treated with TLC ever since. And it is tight
>(all  that smoke & grease I guess)
>Brian

Nice one. I suspect that there's a lot of tosh uttered about condition. A
friend who is into medium format bought a couple of Bronica 75mm Nikkor
standard lenses recently - a newish one in top cosmetic/optical condition
and a junker in rough shape with scratched front AND rear elements (not
cleaning marks - scratched!) To his horror the nice one produced dull but
acceptable images while the old beater gave beautiful, sharp and contrasty
images. He concluded that the pretty one was pretty because it didn't
deserve or get much use and sold it quickly. The beater is now mounted in a
leaf shutter on the front of his 6x7 Baby Linhof.
I guess the moral is - "don't assume - test!" (oh, and store it with your
old socks?)
AndrewF