Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:43:49 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 3:26 PM -0700 11/3/01, Garth Wood wrote:

At 04:17 PM 03/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
Hello everyone,

In pondering my scanner options, a new option has occurred to me. I've got a decent scanner for a beginner (an Acer ScanWit). Windows won't install it, after many, many attempts and a boatload of technical advice. Windows crashes on me all the time. So maybe what I ought to do is get a Mac and use the scanner I've got for awhile.

I'd like to hear from Mac users, especially on the issues of support, stability, and ease of use with peripherals such as photo scanners. I'd also appreciate your best guess as to how hard it would be for a college educated (albeit in English), long time Windows user to learn to use a Mac.

While I have no great love for Windoze, in your case (and without additional information), I'd actually recommend upgrading your O/S (assuming you're using Win98 or Win98SE or WinME). I've just installed WinXP Home Edition on one of my LAN computers, and it was the smoothest install I've ever experienced -- and it recognized every piece of equipment in the computer or attached thereto and installed them all flawlessly, with drivers that wereeven newer than any I had (and I had some pretty unusual stuff, too). All this for the price of $149.00 CDN for the upgrade. Mind you, the target PC already came tricked out with lots of memory (>256 MByte RAM). If you don't have at least 256 MByte RAM, the new O/S may puke a bit. But these days, RAM's damn near free, and the store I got the upgrade O/S from was actually *giving away* 128 Megs of RAM with every sale.

On the other hand, if you want to spend $800 or less and get a recent Mac,
stability is generally pretty good, and even someone whose brain has been
damaged by Windows can figure out how to use one. Photoshop generally runs
better on Macs as well. I do say "recent" because Apple has been moving away
from SCSI (which I bleieve the Scanwit uses) so you might have to suffer
the indignity of paying far less for laster year's model.

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx