[OM] Problem with OM-40 or me ?!?

Subject: [OM] Problem with OM-40 or me ?!?
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:48:36 +0100
Hi,

O.k., I've finally done it: yesterday I dropped off (and picked up) the 12
rolls of slides Giocnda and I had taken over the last 2 months or so.

In it are the slides for TOPE 7 (but that's a different story), as well as
the pictures from Barcelona. All slides taken with the OM-4Ti are properly
exposed, but unfortunately I cannot say the same of the OM-40 taken slides
:(
I don't quite understand the problem: most shots are overexposed, but for
several indoors shots. I remember having put in the film for Gioconda in a
Spanish bar over lunch (and with it, I took the picture I will most likely
be submitting for TOPE 7). This picture came out well, but everything taken
outside (where there is obviously more light) seems to be way overexposed.

Now, I'm not quite certain what the problem is. Normally, when I put in a
roll of new film, I turn the camera to manual, set the shutter speed to
something fast (1/125+) and fire the blank rounds and then turn the camera
back to Auto (or in this case Program). I _think_ I did the same this time,
as I intentionally let Gioconda use the OM-40 because of its Program mode...
However, the pictures seem to suggest otherwise: it seems that the camera
Manually must have been locked at one shutter speed, be it due to a defect
in the camera, or due to a defect in me (D'oh!). I will have to investigate
this further by checking the other rolls she shot (small issue: she only
shot two rolls of slides (and I have yet to check the 2nd roll of slides
properly, the other rolls where negatives).

For the meantime, as I am quite positive I did indeed turn the camera back
to Program, I would like to know if anyone else has had a case where an
OM-40/PC was set to program, and yet the camera stuck to one shutter speed
(which in this case over exposed the shots)...

Other details:
-Camera was set to 100 ASA (film used was Provia 100F), AND on DX
-Camera was set to use ESP

For now, I'll just assume that I left the camera on Manual, and I'll have to
check the other results before I can see if the other pictures were properly
exposed...

Cheers!
Olafo