Re: [OM] Candles

Subject: Re: [OM] Candles
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:21:46 -0700 (PDT)
Place a yellow filter over the flash and position carefully.
Doesn't take much as you will overpower the candles and make
them look pretty lame.  It is important to use supplemental
lighting as there just isn't enough light from candles to give
you usable exposure.  Unless you are photographing a hundred
year old grandmother. <g>

One major problem you will encounter with candle-only pictures
is the "mirror image" in the lens.  You can avoid this ONLY
through keeping the exposure range under control so the phantom
image is kept below the film sensitivity window. You frequently
see this effect in older movies where a car drives off in the
night.  They prevent this through supplemental lighting (reduce
the ratio) and neutral density filter material over the
headlights.

You MUST remove any filters on the camera lens if you want to
minimize flare. There's nothing like sticking a few layers of
cokin filters in front of your prized F2 lenses to ruin a good
day.

Most of my experience doing this has been with slide films and
I've never noticed a heavy leaning towards red. In fact,
whenever I tried color correcting with a blue filter (tungsten
correction filter) it turned out overly neutral and ruined the
effect.

AG Schnozz