Re: [OM] Olympus RC or RD and S 20 Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus RC or RD and S 20 Flash
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:19:25 +0200
: Thanks very much Hans. This gets me all excited to get an OM 35 RC or RD
in
: my hands. Do you use one? HOw are the picts?

I don't. I do have a Canon Canonet G-III QL 1.7 which is very similar to the
RD; it also has a 40mm/F1.7 lens which is a great focal length imho. Biggest
advantage of these cameras for me was that their shutter is even more silent
as an OM-1/2/3/4. This is why I bought it, for theatre photography, but
since then I aquired a Konica Hexar Black which is the most silent camera in
the world.

Especially the RD offers features that can't be found in any modern
low-budget P&S camera, but be aware that it really isn't a very small or
super lightweight camera. Compaer to the OM-1 with 50/1.8 lens, it is only
2cm less in width, 1 cm less in height, and weighs 200g less. Also be aware
that although the cameras offer full manual control, there's no meter
reading in this mode. So you either use the reading from the Auto mode or
you carry a handheld meter. Furthermore the rangefinder is not as
sophisticated as a Leica M and is difficult to use in low light conditions.
Then there's the mercury cell. The silent shutter, auto + manual control,
fast lens, fill flash capabilities, flashmatic system and the option to
accept any flash (ooposed to any modern P&S) are its biggest plusses.

hnz