Re: [OM] more focusing screen questions

Subject: Re: [OM] more focusing screen questions
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:15:41 +0200
: --What is the relative brightness of the clear field screens (1-5,6,7)
: compared to the 2 series screens?

Very similar. But you can focus much faster with the 2 series. With the
1-5/6/7 focusing must be done on the microprisms which are only available in
the centre and suffer from the same difficulties in low light conditions as
a normal screen. Basically, by using one of these screens you're imposing
the same limitations to your focusing techniques as an AF system - first
focus, then compose. Of course it's personal but you must be really familiar
with microprism focusing to like these screens.

: --Clear field screens give proper readings in the OM4T and fit without
: modification, right?

Right.

: --Is the meter reading discrepancy in the older bodies linear? i.e. a
: constant 1 or 2 stops for example?

I'm not sure and would not rely on that.

: --What exactly is the difference 1-5, 1-6, 1-7? Yeah, I can read that
: they cover different ranges of focal length but there is no difference
: apparent from the descriptions and pictures in the esif. I'm leaning
: toward the 1-6, maybe 1-7.

The difference is in the structure / size of the microprisms. I think
they're smaller in the 1-7.

: --How does the 1-8 or 1-10 rank in brightness with the 1-1, 1-2, or 1-4?

The 1-10 is like an 1-4 with grid lines; the structure of the matte is
identical. The 1-8 has a finer matte and is brighter, but less bright as the
2 series. The 1-8 can be used for general purpose photography but in
daylight with normal and wide angle lenses the fine matte becomes a
handicap - it is faster to focus on a coarse matte.

Imho the best screens for the OM-1 for general purpose are the 1-4 and 1-10.
I don't like microprisms and split image finders. With the OM-2 a modified
2-4 is a good idea as long as you don't need its manual meter.

hnz