RE: [OM] Polaroid Scanner & SCSI

Subject: RE: [OM] Polaroid Scanner & SCSI
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:14:56 -0400
Scott said:
I've got a ScanWit on Win2K as well. It's never all the way off, the
LEDs in the upper right corner remain lit. It does, however,
automatically turn off the light. I suspect they leave the SCSI
interface active at all times, and just power down the light circuitry
until the scanner is activated. As a result, there's no need for a
utility to rescan the SCSI bus and activate the scanner.
--------------------
Nope, I mean from power off on the scanner.  With power off there is
nothing lit... including the LED's in the upper right hand corner.  From
power off on the scanner I can cold start the computer and, after it's
fully booted, I can turn the scanner power on and have the scanner run
thru its POST.  If I then start the scanner software the scanner will be
recognized as though it was there all along.  Just to be sure that there
were no electronics running even with the power switch off I just tried
it after pulling the power plug off the box.  Still powers back up and
gets recognized just fine.  I don't know what's happening under the
covers to acquire the previously missing device but it does work.  Just
wish I knew why.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA