Re: [OM] What's up with this guy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's up with this guy?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:14:04 EDT
In discussion of this guy it was suggested that he offers the item at a high
price and then after the auction has closed without his reserve being met
emails the bidders and offers to sell it at a lower price.  The problem
mentioned, other than the obvious one with integrity, is that the buyer
doesn't have the protection offered by ebay.  The other problem I see as a
business owner is that ebay gets beaten out of their small fee for
advertising/helping to sell the item.  There have been a few times that I
have been offered an item at my bid price even though it had not met the
minimum (never by this guy, because I don't like his descriptions and won't
bid on his stuff).  When that has happened I have always emailed the seller
back and told them to re-list it on ebay with the reserve being what my high
bid was and that I would purchase it at that price through ebay.  That has
worked for me in the past.  I got what I wanted and had the benefits offered
by the not so evil ebay, ebay's part in the deal was honored and the seller
moved their merchandise.  I have used ebay a time or two to get a seller to
do what was right and was glad they were there and have also used feedback in
a rather judicious way to warn folks of potential problems.  IMHO some pull
the trigger too quick on negative feedback before they have given the deal
sometime to work itself out.  Bill Barber